James H. Napier believed in the importance of charitable giving by the business community.
As the President of the Napier Company, a prominent international jewelry manufacturer located in Meriden, Connecticut, James Napier was firmly committed to supporting local non-profits and giving back to the communities where the company employees worked and lived.
For this reason, he and the Napier Company Board of Directors established the Napier Foundation in January 1955. The original trust agreement set the terms of the corporate foundation. In 1999, when the Napier Company was sold, the trust agreement was legally amended from a corporate foundation to a private independent Connecticut foundation with a new name, James H. Napier Foundation.
To date, the Foundation has granted over $13 million in grants to organizations in Meriden and Wallingford Connecticut.